Women in Fear

I listen to a This American Life podcast called Five Women. In this episode, women were opening up about the sexual harassment they faced while working under the same man. They trusted him, but he betrayed and took advantage of them for his own reasons. Some of them trusted him so much that they thought that his actions were justified. All their lives were completely changed after working for one single person. Just like this, we can all hear countless stories of women being used, especially by people they trust. This scares me, knowing that I am going to be on my own soon and away from home. How am I going to keep myself safe?

As a senior in high school, realizing that college is in the near future comes with its pros and cons. I get to meet new people, experiences new things, and grow as a person. However, I am also going to be around so many people that I do not know and I will have to go places by myself at times, including the night. If grown women in their 30s and 40s are not even safe, how will a mere teenager be safe? I will have to trust some people without a choice, such as a supervisor or other students. My only way to hopefully stay safe is through different techniques, not just in college but also later on in life. Taking chances is not something I want to do, especially while having a whole life ahead of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography in our Lives

Cultures and Rituals

1000 Piece Puzzle